LOTS OF THINGS TO DO AT THE MARY RIVER FESTIVAL – Saturday 12th November 2016
at Kandanga And they are mostly FREE!
Our theme this year is "Protecting the Great Barrier Reef - keeping sediment, nutrients, pesticides and plastics out off the Mary River". The Mary River is the most southern river catchment that flows into the Great Barrier Reef and coral bleaching as been particularly devastating this year.
Leading up to the Festival, learn how to make large and small lanterns primarily for the Mary River Festival with renowned lantern maker Jullie Jackson of the Lismore Lantern Parade fame. Workshops 26-28 August and 4-6 November 2016. See lantern poster for details.
On Festival Day ..
- Join in games for Children
- Learn more about the Mary River and its connection to the Great Barrier Reef.
- Come alive with Mary River Rhythym and Drumming.
- Weaving our weeds away.
- Get to know about the Great Barrier Reef from our Expert Speakers at the Yabba Yarning Speakers Corner.
- Learn more about Recycling, Composting and Reuse.
- Print up your own bags with Erica Neate
- Parade your own lantern
- Night Movies - A selection of Heart of Gold specials and eco-flicks for all ages will be screened in the large Yabba Yarning tent behind the Kandanga Hall.